Advertise in Our Winter Catalog
Our winter catalog is a highly valued, direct-to-consumer marketing piece featuring approximately 100 wonderful, gift-worthy books in a wide range of subjects for adults and children of all ages. Designed as an interactive and fun winter traffic-builder for indie bookstores, our catalog increases your sell-in and drives book sales during the busy gift-giving season. The catalog is a proven marketing tool. Stores report a higher rate of traffic once the catalog is in their customers’ hands.
Benefits of MIBA's catalog include:
- Reliable direct-to-consumer marketing via a circulation of 350,000: Bookstores use direct mail, saturation mailing, newspaper insert, and creative in-store methods to get the catalog into customers’ hands
- Increase your sell-in: Our region of indie booksellers gets behind our catalog titles; stores order catalog titles when they otherwise might have skipped or missed ordering these books
- Bookstores create displays and use catalog-themed POS items in-store and online to sell catalog titles
- Major wholesalers routinely offer bookstores discounts on their catalog title orders
- Stores report a higher rate of traffic once the catalog is in their customers’ hands
- Automatic free social media blast (Facebook & Twitter) featuring jacket art and the phrase "See this great title from [publisher's name] in our 2016 Winter Catalog" with the hashtag #indiebookgift
- Additional online marketing via the e-blast graphics we create for our booksellers to send directly to their customers inboxes. We give booksellers a cash rebate for using these promo materials
- Prominent listing on our new Catalog Assets page, which collects promo material for booksellers
- Digital upgrade. Ensure booksellers are thinking about your book with this advertising discount.
- Weekly upgrade $100: Receive a weeklong short horizontal banner ad on our website (normally $62.50) and a short banner in one newsletter (regularly $80).
- Monthly upgrade $500: Receive a monthlong short horizontal ad on our website (normally $600) and a short banner on four newsletters (regularly $250).
- Discount on future ad: 25% off any advertising option we offer
- Books need to have an on-shelf date no later than November 1, 2016
- Include books that are innately giftable
- Spring 2016 and paperback titles are encouraged
- The deadline to reserve an ad is July 8, 2016
To place your ad in the winter catalog, please do the following.
1. Review our rates and ad options
2. Email Carrie Obry (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information for each title you’d like to place in the catalog.
- By July 11, 2016: 1) Which ad spaces you’d like to secure, 2) link to Edelweiss or the publisher pages, 3) 40 words of descriptive copy, 4) book jacket and author photo (specs: at least 300 dpi and CMYK)
- New! Assets page. Send us your promo information and creative assets for our Catalog Assets page. The assets page is for booksellers to use in their holiday promos, so please send your assets by the end of October.
We will email you an invoice that can be paid either online via credit card or a check.
3. Book your discounted advertising. If you'd like to take advantage of our offer of 25 percent off any future advertising option, please let us know now. You can use this discount now or anytime within the next year.
4. Ship us 2 copies of the book immediately upon publication (and before September 27, 2016) for our catalog booth at Heartland Fall Forum. If unavailable before September 27, please personally bring copies to the MIBA catalog booth or ship a jacket if available.
Background: Each year at our trade show, we create a booth specifically to showcase the titles in our winter catalog. Along with the books, we include copies of the full title list, a specially-printed advance copy of the catalog (we called it a catalog ARC), and free posters of the catalog cover for booksellers to use in store displays. At the end of the show, the books are donated to a silent auction for booksellers to bid on. The proceeds from the auction will be given to the Book Industry Charitable Foundation. Last year, we collected just over $5,000 for this great charity.
As stated, we pull all of your title data from Edelweiss or your webpage. Please double check your Edelweiss or publisher webpage for accuracy.
MIBA's "Winter Catalog" is a marketing tool made specifically for its members in order to achieve the stated goals of the association, to help sell books thorugh bookstores in our region. There is no purchasing or ordering option anywhere on the marketing tool, and it is not available to purchase by the general public. Titles appearing in the "Winter Catalog" are called "ads" for general ease of understanding, but are not actually advertisements as they are the primary content of the marketing tool.