Are you a store that has used only Baker & Taylor and aren't sure the best way forward? Please contact us! Publishers are mobilizing their staff to offer direct customer service to help you move forward and they want to know which stores might need outreach.
Big 5 map
- Very helpful map of the big 5 publishers and their imprints
- Email Carrie Obry, director of MIBA: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Kate Rattenborg, MIBA president and owner of Dragonfly Books: email@example.com
- Join the Midwest Independent Bookseller Facebook group to pose questions with your Midwestern peers who likely know you and your market better than then national group
- Join the national Indie Bookseller Facebook group where many of these topics are being actively discussed among booksellers across the country
Were you using Books & More, B&T's web hosting solution? Consider switching over to one of ABA's e-commerce/web hosting solutions.
- IndieCommerce bookseller resource: Sarah Krammen, Dragonfly Books, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IndieLite bookseller resource: Sue Roegge, Chapter 2 Books, email@example.com
Baker and Taylor timeline and info
- Margaret Lane, "Earlier today Baker & Taylor announced a significant change to its operations. Over the coming weeks, we will be exiting the wholesale retail book market. The decision to exit the retail business was not an easy one. The leadership at Baker & Taylor ultimately determined that the best course for the company’s future is to focus on the public library and publisher services businesses."
Below is the timeline of closures. If you are a Baker & Taylor customer, please take note of these dates.
- Current promotions will end on May 31.
- Paperback Essentials will end with the May 14 shipment.
- B&T will support the Indie Next program through May 31 (June Indie Next titles).
- B&T will ship author event orders through June 1.
- My Books & More websites will continue to operate until June 30.
- The ABA has announced a special deal for IndieLite websites as a replacement for My Books & More. Click here to contact the IndieCommerce team for more information
- B&T will ship NYP titles through June, all open orders for pub dates after July 1 will be cancelled. If you would like a report of what is on order with a pub date after July 1, reach out to your rep.
- The last day for shipping all other orders is July 15. Any orders received after noon on July 15 will be cancelled. This includes Home Delivery orders.
- The last day B&T will accept overstock returns at the return center is July 30
- 2019 Co-op reports can be requested. All requests need to be made by July 1 and reports will be sent to you by the end of August
- Ingram Wholesale
- Bookazine, based out of New Jersey, is ready for new accounts now.
- Bookazine is a family-owned, full-service wholesaler serving the book industry since 1929. They offer a wide-ranging and deep inventory of new releases and bestselling backlist, with expertise in children’s titles, small press and regional titles, gay and lesbian books and magazines, and pop culture titles–including graphic novels and manga. They supply books to thousands of bookstores and libraries throughout the U.S. and around the world and enjoy positive business relationships with more than 25,000 publishers worldwide.
- Prepaid accounts take 48-72 hours to establish and begin shipping.
- Accounts with credit terms need to allow a minimum of two weeks to establish.
- You can begin by filling out a credit application and contacting Steve Goldberg by email or phone: 201-858-7558
Ingram offers special programs designed to fit the unique needs of indie bookstores, including access to a huge inventory of products, and dedicated support. See their overview of independent bookstore services. The Indie Vault (stock set aside for indie stores) is being augmented with a broader selection, and increased quantities.
Read the overview: Read Ingram's statement of support and list of services in Bookselling This Week
Open an account: Find your state below and contact your rep. They will help you open an account and navigate everything you see here.
Increase your credit line: Ingram is pro-actively working to increase bookstore credit lines and provide attractive offers to manage this transiation. Please contact your rep to discuss your specific needs and ask them what they can offer you.
Take advantage of BookLove rebates: What is BookLove? An exclusive indie bookstore program that triggers rebates upon reaching a specified annual sales goal. Basically, the more booklove you help spread, the more money you make. Check out the BookLove rebate program.
MIBA regional contacts: Access all Ingram contacts via the Ingram website or downloadable PDF.
Ron Smithson, Director, Sales
Nancy Rohlen, Wholesale Sales Manager
States: IA, IL, MI, MN, MO, and WI
Frank Domenico, Inside Sales Representative
States: IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, and WI
800.937.8222, ext. 28353
Trent Shaw, Sales Representative
Inside Sales Representative
800.937.8222 ext. 28322
Direct from publishers
- Blackstone Publishing
- Hachette Book Group
- Independent Publishers Group
- Penguin Random House
- Simon & Schuster
- Wisconsin Historical Society Press
First-Time Buyer special
- Net 90 days
- 55% of suggested retail price (SRP)
- Plus the terms listed below
Indie Store Special
- Free shipping with no minimums
- 50% off SRP on all products
- Payment terms of net 30 days
- Free returns on all products
Adam Shea, Retail Sales Coordinator
HACHETTE BOOK GROUP is launching Indie Direct, which is designed for any indie bookstore that does not already have an account with HBG. (The new account must be set up and first order received by August 30.)
Benefits include expedited account set-up; no minimum quantity on the bookstore's initial order; expedited credit approval; and additional discount for the store's initial order in the program. The program is applicable for all HBG titles and the titles of participating client publishers, which include Abrams, Chronicle Books, Disney Book Group, Hachette UK, Kids Can Press, Moleskine, Octopus, Phaidon, piKids, Quercus/Nicholas Brealey, Quarto Publishing Group and Yen Press.
"Hachette Book Group is committed to independent bookstores and the amazing work they do on behalf of our authors and our books," said Alison Lazarus, executive v-p, group sales director. "With HBG's Indie Direct promotion, we're pleased to extend our support to those independent booksellers who do not currently have accounts with HBG. Our goal is to help onboard these stores with an easy transition plan, and to eliminate any concerns about ordering books from us or our client publisher partners. We're looking forward to establishing relationships with new bookstore partners."
Booksellers with questions about the program should contact HBG's telephone sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-934-5252.
New Indie Account Fast-Track Program
For all bricks and mortar independent bookstores who were ordering all their HarperCollins, Harlequin and HarperCollins Christian titles from Baker & Taylor, we offer fast-tracked credit approval and account set up to help you open a new HarperCollins account.
- ABA members can find our Credit Application on BookWeb.org, and you can also access it by clicking on the image on the right. Please fill out and submit to OpenAccount@harpercollins.com
- When reaching out please specify that you are a former Baker & Taylor account
- Every effort will be made to expedite the account review and set up process
- No order required to open an account
- Effective through October 1, 2019
Once you have an account:
- A sales consultant will be assigned to help you with order questions, register you on our
- customer service website and make sure you are maximizing our terms of sale.
- Orders received by 3pm (EST) will ship out the next business day
- All HarperCollins, Harlequin and HarperCollins Christian titles can be combined on orders.
- Our frontlist and backlist catalogs are available on Edelweiss and we encourage all accounts to
- utilize the tools available on Above the Treeline.
With the aim of offering independent booksellers another option for ordering directly, the IPG offer provides special terms for one order between May 10 and September 1.
For NEW Accounts
- No prepayment required for first order.
- Automatic credit limit of $1000 for opening a new account - no credit application required.
- Order 10 or more units and receive an additional 5% discount.
- Net 60 dating on this order.
- Free freight for 10+ units ordered.
- Qualifying orders placed by 11 a.m. central time will ship by the end of the next business day.
- Contact IPG’s dedicated indie bookstore sales team to assist with ordering.
- Open an account: Follow this link to open an account
- Contact info: Call 888-330-8477 to find out who your sales rep is
For these customers, Peachtree has issued the following incentives (valid until November 1, 2019):
- A special discount on initial orders;
- A simple online application for new accounts;
- Free freight with low minimums.
“We understand many booksellers are actively seeking alternative ways to stock their stores,” said Margaret Quinlin, Peachtree President and Publisher. “We are grateful for their ongoing support of our titles and want to do whatever we can to return the favor.”
For more information on terms or to open a new account, please email email@example.com.
Peachtree Publishing Company Inc. produces award-winning children’s books, ranging from board books and picture books to middle grade and young adult fiction and nonfiction. We create books that educate, entertain, encourage, and endure.
If you do not currently have a Penguin Random House account, or if your Penguin Random House account has been inactive for more than a year, you are eligible for our Indies Express program, which includes:
- A streamlined new-account application (now available online) – no opening order necessary
- A streamlined credit-approval process (for Baker & Taylor customers in good standing)
- Special offer on your first order (includes a lower unit-minimum)
- Dedicated PRH sales director with expertise in helping B&T customers transition to ordering directly from Penguin Random House
- Dedicated PRH sales reps (community bookstore specialists) to help you navigate seasonal frontlist ordering and backlist replenishment
- Special offer from Above the Treeline to help with inventory management
Many of us are former independent booksellers, so we know firsthand how busy you are, and how important it is for you to be able to focus on running your business and serving your customers. We hope you will contact us soon, and we look forward to working with you more closely in the future.
Thank you again for everything you do to support our titles,
The Penguin Random House Sales Team
For more information, e-mail IndiesExpress@prh.com
(This offer expires on 10/1/2019)
Simon & Schuster announced the launch of Indie Quick Start, an enhanced direct purchasing enrollment program designed for any independent bookstore that does not have a current account with Simon & Schuster and that will be impacted by the recent Baker & Taylor decision to cease serving retail accounts. In order to participate, the new account must be set up and have placed orders with Simon & Schuster by August 30.
As part of the program, Simon & Schuster is offering to independent bookstores without a current account, or accounts that have been inactive for a year:
- Expedited application and credit approval process
- Quick initial order processing and no minimum for new customer initial orders
- Simon & Schuster’s previously announced promotional terms for new store openings
Titles included in the Indie Quick Start program include all of Simon & Schuster’s wholly-owned publishing and the titles of its distribution client publishers.
“Simon & Schuster values and is committed to our independent bookstore partners and the overall health of the retail marketplace,” said Gary Urda, Senior Vice President, Sales, Simon & Schuster. “With this Indie Quick Start program we hope to both ease and speed the path to direct ordering for new customers, creating and building new relationships in this important bookselling channel. We are also working closely with all of our demand wholesale partners to insure that they, too, are fully prepared to supply this important marketplace with our titles. In short, we are open for business, ready to welcome new indie accounts, and look forward to providing them with our world-class customer service.”
Simon & Schuster has assigned a dedicated customer service representative to handle the Indie Quick Start process, and has set up a dedicated phone line and email inbox. For more information booksellers can contact Simon & Schuster at 800-976-1725 or IndieBiz@simonandschuster.com
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
From Jen Rubin
With Baker and Taylor closing, we wanted to remind you that you can order Wisconsin Historical Society Press books directly through Chicago Distribution Center. Many of you already have accounts, but you can contact the CDC at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also order books via our sales rep Bruce Miller at email@example.com.