Historically, MIBA has been governed by a 7-member board of directors. In the 2020 nomination season, we are expanding to a 9-person board of directors to add diverse perspectives and improve our representation. All of our existing board members are in the middle of their terms and will continue to serve.
Please submit the names of BIPOC booksellers you strongly believe would serve as excellent board members. We also encourage you to nominate yourself.
- Candidates must be the owner or employee of an independent bookstore operating according to sound business principles.
- Board candidates must have enough recent experience as an owner or employee of a member bookstore in order to contribute substantively to furthering our mission.
- Board candidates exhibit qualities of leadership and creativity, have a strong reputation for integrity and character, are willing to carry out various assignments, and are dedicated to the association’s mission and objectives.
- All candidates must operate within our portion of the Midwest--Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Read an overview of MIBA's board of directors nomination process.
The timeline is as follows:
- September 3: Call for nominations
- September 16: Nominations due
- September 29: Voting ballot released
- October 9: Voting ballot due
- October 26: Annual meeting
Important details to note:
- Typically, our board members are eligible to serve two three-year terms. We are willing to consider shorter-term board appointments if it make sense for the candidate.
- Our board meetings have traditionally occurred four times per year: January, March/April, June, and October (during the trade show). Due to COVID, we are conducting virtual board meetings throughout 2020 and intend to host more of our meetings online in 2021 (i.e., not all four meetings will be in person)
- Directors do not receive compensation for their services, but are reimbursed for authorized expenses, including travel and lodging for all of our meetings, which includes the annual trade show
- Arrangements can be made for the association to pay board members’ expenses up front
If you have questions about this process, please email either our executive director, Carrie Obry, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or our board president, Kate Rattenborg, at email@example.com.