Heartland Booksellers Award Critera & Submission
Publishers: Submissions are closed for the 2021 Heartland Booksellers Award
Info about the process for 2022 will be posted here soon.
Sign up for our newsletter to make sure you are kept informed about all of our opportunities.
Books submitted for 2021 must have an on-sale date between 5/1/20 and 4/30/21
To support the titles germane to each of our regions, MIBA and GLIBA conduct separate submission processes with publishers, allowing books that have been popular in each of our regions to receive the attention they deserve. Please submit your titles as follows to each association for our booksellers’ consideration. We will celebrate the winners at a wonderful awards reception at the Heartland Fall Forum.
- A book's relationship to the Midwest may consist of either the content of the book, the author's hometown, or the author's current residence
- Books must be classifiable in one of five awarded genres: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, YA/Middle Grade, or Children's Picture Book
- Books submitted for the 2021 book awards must have an on-sale date between 5/1/20 and 4/30/21
- MIBA submissions: Submit books by authors from the following states or books with content that pertains specifically to these states: Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, the UP of Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. Please note: MIBA does not require a copy of the book. Completing the form is all that is required.
- GLIBA submissions: Submit books by authors from the following states or books with content that pertains specifically to these states: Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. Click here to learn about GLIBA's submissions.
- Dual submissions: If the theme of your book is broadly Midwestern and pertains to both regions, we ask you to submit it to both associations
- The deadline to submit titles is 5/31/21.