American Booksellers Association Is Hiring
The American Booksellers Association is looking for an energetic people-person who loves books and bookstores to become ABA’s new Member Relations and Registration Coordinator!
Reporting to the Director of Membership, this individual will be primarily responsible for managing a portfolio of bookstore member accounts, specifically in the Midwest region; managing ABA’s event registrations, including workshops, webinars, and ABA’s ShopTalk program, in addition to our annual Winter Institute and Children’s Institute conferences; as well as providing other administrative and database-related support to the Membership department. The ideal candidate has previous experience in the bookselling industry and is devoted to supporting the mission of indie bookstores everywhere; is detail-oriented; highly organized; has strong written and verbal communication skills; comfort with databases and technology; the ability to meet deadlines; a sense of humor and positive, amiable demeanor! This position also requires some domestic travel and some nights and weekends for conferences.
- Developing strong relationships with bookstores and booksellers
- Managing a portfolio of bookstore accounts as their primary liaison with ABA
- Processing new membership applications and corresponding data entry
- Providing technical support to members and facilitating access to resources and activities
- Responding to bookstores’ inquiries about new and evergreen programs and services
- Managing ABA’s event registrations, including but not limited to the annual Winter Institute and Children’s Institute conferences; ABA’s Shop Talks and other community forums; webinars, workshops and other ad-hoc events
- Managing the event registration timeline and ensuring a timely flow of information across departments
- Administrative support for ABA’s affinity partner programs including Bookshop.org, Constant Contact, and other programs that require liaising with business partners
- Assisting in the organization, maintenance, storage, and presentation of ABA’s data
- Preparing regular, periodic, and ad-hoc membership reports
- Travel to regional and national meetings and events as needed
Our ideal candidate will have the following (please also see note below)*:
- CiviCRM or other CRM/AMS or comparable data experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google suite applications, especially Excel/Sheets
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service in a calm, empathetic manner
- Highly organized and able to independently and effectively manage short and long-term projects; strong project management and self-direction
- Passion for independent bookstores and/or books
- Bachelor’s or associate’s degree, or equivalent (comparable nontraditional self-education, i.e. lifelong learner, certificates and/or classes, or work, volunteer, or internship experience equivalent)
- Commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and access initiatives and policies
Remote, hybrid, or in-office in White Plains, NY. Shuttle service is provided from the White Plains MetroNorth train station for NYC commuters.
Learn more and apply here.