Drury Lane Books is hiring
Drury Lane Books is hiring a bookseller and events planner.
We are a thriving 20 year old independent bookstore in beautiful Grand Marais, right on Lake Superior in Northern Minnesota. We are a small store with one full time and several part time booksellers, 750 sq ft & 5000 books. We’re looking to increase our events capacity, and are seeking an energetic, creative member to grow with us. We are open year round, but the seasonal nature of our local economy makes this 35-40 hours/week May - Dec, and 25-30 hours/week Jan - April.
Hourly wage based on experience, vacation and sick pay, retirement contributions, book discount.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities and Approximate Percentages of Time-
- Run cash register/sell books
- Assist customers, hand sell books and give recommendations
- Take phone orders
- Take special orders, including Direct-to-Home orders
- Process and ship web orders
- Receive daily shipments of books
- Unpack boxes and shelve books
- Receive books into computer system
- Make displays
- Tidy and alphabetize during slow periods
- Light cleaning duties weekly
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Marketing and Events Planning (30%):
- Author Events and Full Moon Readings
- Schedule events with authors or publishers
- Promote and advertise for events in print, web, and in store
- Communicate with store manager on book buying for events
- Host majority of events (setting up chairs, introducing author, selling books)
- Maintain digital marketing
- Google listing
- Update website front page regularly with new books, reflective of social media posts
- Update content (staff picks, book clubs, highlighted themes) seasonally
- Maintain analog marketing
- Print advertising
- Hours and voicemail
- Displays and Signage inside and outside
- Collaborate on monthly e-newsletter with store manager
Must love books!
Must be comfortable in a busy retail setting, chatting with customers and talking books.
Must be comfortable working autonomously in a small store.
Must be able to think creatively and take initiative, there is room to grow this position.
Must be available to work weekends.
Background in retail preferred.
Background in marketing and/or event planning preferred, but we will train the right person!
We require all booksellers to be fully vaccinated (including booster) for COVID-19 prior to their first shift in the store.
We’re excited to welcome a new member to our team!
Gwen Danfelt, manager and Kelly Kager, co-owner