Thank you for your interest in joining the board of the Midwest Independent Booksellers Association. We are a collegial and positive group of individuals committed to upholding the values important to independent bookselling. Please read the following overview and complete the questionnaire to express your interest in joining us. Please know we typically present 2-3 candidates to our board internally for every available spot, allowing our board to determine the best fit from multiple diverse angles, such as store location and style, candidate's strengths and position in the industry, sex/gender and cultural representation, and so on. Every candidate we hear from is a strong option, so if you are not selected during any given round, your application will be saved for the next opportunity.
- Our board of directors is a volunteer position. Board members are reimbursed for all board-related expenses, including travel and lodging for all of our meetings, which includes our annual spring and fall events. (Arrangements can be made for the association to pay board members’ expenses up front.)
- We currently hold monthly meetings. Virtual meetings are 1-hour long. In-person meetings are typically day-long events. Board members should be able to travel 2X per year for a period of 2-4 days at at time. Travel times are as follows.
- Spring: April or May, all-day meeting held in-person at the site of our spring event
Fall: October, in-person at Heartland Fall Forum
- Our board members are eligible to serve two three-year terms.
- Board members can serve in the following officer appointments for up to 2 two-year terms: president, vice president, treasurer, secretary.
- Standing committees are as follows: Executive, Nominating, Finance, Education, Heartland, plus additional added as needed.
We expect board members to be able to fulfill their duties on the board while serving on 1 or 2 committees as appropriate.
- Board candidates must have enough recent experience as an owner or employee of a member bookstore in order to contribute substantively to furthering our mission. All bookstore positions and staff levels are welcome to serve.
- Board candidates exhibit qualities of leadership and creativity, have a strong reputation for integrity and character, are willing to carry out various assignments, and are dedicated to the association’s mission and objectives.
- All candidates must operate within our portion of the Midwest MIBA represents--Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Michigan's Upper Peninsula.