Penguin Random House is Hiring
The Adult Sales division has an exciting opportunity for a Chicago-area-based Field Sales Manager to join their team. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys building business relationships, has a passion for reading and for talking about adult books, and is interested in helping to get books into the hands of readers!
Overseeing the sales, marketing, and merchandising of adult titles from the Random House and Crown Publishing Groups and Kensington Publishing Corp., the Field Sales Manager will maintain ongoing communication regarding new and upcoming titles, backlist opportunities, and market trends between our publishers and the accounts. This role will also provide consistent feedback internally regarding the sell-in of titles and account needs.
This position will interact with a variety of independent bookstores throughout the Midwest.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the sales, marketing, and merchandising of assigned publishers’ books to accounts within designated territory to select indie bookstores.
- Services these same accounts in order to manage and grow their business in the most effective and productive ways.
- Communicates account and marketplace feedback to sales management and publishers.
- Implements management goals, directions, and requirements.
- Remains current on assigned publisher titles and authors, industry related trends and competitors to allow for the maximization of sales and for accurate forecasting.
- Attends regional trade shows, author signing/pre-pub events, and other industry and account - related events in the territory.
- Self-manages the territory and office: Itinerary, travel, analysis, email, sales materials, etc.
- Speaks confidently and buoyantly to and with groups of book-lovers about books and reading
- Minimum of 3 years prior retail or sales experience
- Awareness of and interest in publishing industry, including titles and authors
- Passion for reading and for talking about books
- Ability to cultivate and maintain business relationships specific to book sales
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to access/follow various social media accounts, authors, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel via car up to 35% of the time
- Ability to work some evenings and/or weekends
- Prior direct account management experience a plus
- Bookstore or publishing experience is a plus
- A love for cookbooks and the culinary arts a plus
- Proficiency in Edelweiss is a plus
The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $73,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to company results.
Learn more about Penguin Random House and how to apply here.