COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgment
Liability Waiver and Release of Claims
COVID-19 Safety Information
While participating in events held or sponsored by the Midwest Independent Booksellers Association (“MIBA”), “social distancing” may be practiced and face coverings may be required to reduce the risks of exposure to COVID-19. Because COVID-19 is extremely contagious, MIBA has instituted preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, MIBA cannot guarantee that the participants in attendance will not become infected with COVID-19. MIBA may institute procedures for COVID-19 on-site testing and/or screening protocols. More details will be released prior to the event.
Participants in MIBA events are required to register in advance. As part of the registration process, MIBA requires that registrants provide proof that they have received at least one vaccination against COVID-19. Such proof must be provided by all attendees, including conference participants as well as their guests at MIBA-sponsored events. Such proof shall be submitted electronically via a web resource provided by MIBA, or as otherwise directed by MIBA. By providing proof of vaccination, I certify that I am providing truthful and accurate information regarding my vaccination status.
In light of the ongoing spread of COVID-19, individuals who fall within any of the categories below should not engage in MIBA events. By attending a MIBA event, I certify that I do not fall into any of the following categories:
- Individuals who currently or within the past fourteen (14) days have experienced any symptoms associated with COVID-19, which include fever, cough, and shortness of breath among others; or
- Individuals who believe that they may have been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are not yet cleared as non-contagious by state or local public health authorities or the health care team responsible for their treatment.
Duty to Self-Monitor
Participants and volunteers agree to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (symptoms typically include fever, cough, and shortness of breath) and, contact MIBA at firstname.lastname@example.org if he/she tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days after participating in a MIBA in-person event.
Liability Waiver and Release of Claims
I acknowledge that I derive personal satisfaction and a benefit by virtue of my participation in a MIBA event, and I willingly engage in MIBA events (the “Activity”).
Release and Waiver
I HEREBY RELEASE, WAIVE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DEMANDS OF WHATEVER KIND OR NATURE AGAINST MIBA AND ITS AFFILIATED PARTNERS AND SPONSORS, INCLUDING IN EACH CASE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”), EITHER IN LAW OR IN EQUITY, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES OR LOSSES CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE, FAULT OR CONDUCT OF ANY KIND ON THE PART OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DEATH, BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS, ECONOMIC LOSS OR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, OR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, WHICH I, MY HEIRS, ASSIGNEES, NEXT OF KIN AND/OR LEGALLY APPOINTED OR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES, MAY HAVE OR WHICH MAY HEREINAFTER ACCRUE ON MY BEHALF, WHICH ARISE OR MAY HEREAFTER ARISE FROM MY PARTICIPATION WITH THE ACTIVITY.
Assumption of the Risk
I acknowledge and understand the following:
- Participation includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases including but not limited to COVID-19. While particular rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death does exist;
- I knowingly and freely assume all such risks related to illness and infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, even if arising from the negligence or fault of the Released Parties; and
- I hereby knowingly assume the risk of injury, harm and loss associated with the Activity, including any injury, harm and loss caused by the negligence, fault or conduct of any kind on the part of the Released Parties.