Spring Road Trip Columbia
* Registration open until 4/5/24 at 12:00 AM (CST)
MIBA Spring Road Trip April 17-18
A gathering of indie booksellers, industry partners, and authors
Our Spring Road Trip is a partnership with
Unbound Book Festival (see details below)
Skylark Bookshop, Yellow Dog Bookshop, & Black Tea Bookshop would like to invite the booksellers and friends of MIBA to Columbia, MO for the 2024 Spring Road Trip. Columbia is located in the Heart of Missouri, affectionately nestled in the middle of the US. The area where the bookstores are located is called "The District," an eclectic collection of people and businesses in downtown Columbia bound by three college campuses and encompassing 50 square blocks. The District is known for being rich with indie businesses, incorporating art installations, and maintaining important historical buildings, making it a vibrant and rich cultural hub.
- Booksellers from all areas of the store and of all knowledge levels - Owners, managers, and frontline; new and veteran. There will be something for everyone.
- Industry partners - We will collaborate closely with our industry partners to co-create education, title discovery opportunities, and opportunities to meet authors. A full slate of sponsorship and author placement opportunities will be posted before the end of the year, but please don't hesitate to be in touch with ideas.
Meeting location: We're meeting at Tiger Hotel, our indie bookstores, and various locations in the community, all within walking distance.
Lodging: The Tiger Hotel offers a variety of rooms ranging from $156-$244 USD per night. The hotel is a 1 minute walk from Skylark Bookshop and Yellow Dog Bookshop. Room block dates are April 16 through April 19. Last day to book: Friday, March 22
*If you are interested in staying for Unbound Book Festival, Tiger Hotel currently has rooms available for Friday April 19 and Saturday April 20. However, Friday/Saturday room rates are not available at the discounted room block rate. If the weekend hotel rate does not fit within your budget and you want to stay for Unbound, we recommend finding alternative lodging for the weekend. MIBA will be posting a secondary hotel in the weeks to come.
|Yellow Dog Bookshop
Black Tea Bookshop
Unbound Book Festival
|12:30 PM - 1:00 PM
|1:00 PM - 2:15 PM
|Event kick-off and keynote author showcase
|2:15 PM - 3:00 PM
|Rapid round of author reception introductions
|3:00 PM - 4:15 PM
|Book signing celebration
|4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
|Visit Skylark Bookshop, Yellow Dog Bookshop, and Black Tea Bookshop for a custom educational experience at each store.
|8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
|Opening night party (location to come)
|8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
|Optional bookstore experience, details to come
|9:30 AM - 10:00 AM
|Day 2 opening remarks
|10:00 AM - 10:45 AM
|Ideas that Work generative education session
|10:45 AM - 11:30 AM
|Breakout table conversations
|12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
|Industry partner lunch
|1:15 PM - 2:00 PM
|2:15 PM - 3:00 PM
|4:00 PM - 10:00 PM
|Unbound Book Festival programming begins
MIBA + Unbound Collab
MIBA Spring Road Trip: April 17-18
Unbound Book Festival: April 18-21
The Spring Road Trip is planned to coincide with Unbound Book Festival on April 18-21. Alex George, the owner of Skylark Bookshop, is also the director of Unbound Book Festival, which allows us to offer a unique pairing of trade and consumer-facing opportunities.
What does this mean?
- Our event will feature a synergy of learning opportunities provided by both MIBA and Unbound. After the Road Trip concludes, attendees will get to enjoy the world-class literary programming Unbound is famous for.
- Industry partners will have a rare opportunity to pitch authors for back-to-back trade AND consumer-facing promotional opportunities and personally attend/enjoy both aspects of this dual event.